It has been designated as an official permanent monument to the bombing of Plymouth during World War II.In 1962 the modernist high rise of the Civic Centre was constructed, an architecturally significant example of mid-twentieth century civic slab-and-tower set piece.
During the Second World War, Devonport was the headquarters of Western Approaches Command until 1941, and Sunderland flying boats were operated by the Royal Australian Air Force.Plymouth's early history extends to the Bronze Age, when a first settlement emerged at Mount Batten.This settlement continued as a trading post for the Roman Empire, until it was surpassed by the more prosperous village of Sutton founded in the ninth century, now called Plymouth.Plymouth's economy remains strongly influenced by shipbuilding and seafaring including ferry links to Brittany (Roscoff and St Malo) and Spain (Santander), but has tended toward a service-based economy since the 1990s.It has the largest operational naval base in Western Europe – HMNB Devonport and is home to Plymouth University. The settlement of Plympton, further up the River Plym than the current Plymouth, was also an early trading port.In 1512 an Act of Parliament was passed for further fortifying Plymouth.
A series of fortifications were built, including defensive walls at the entrance to Sutton Pool (across which a chain would be extended in time of danger).
It was an important embarkation point for US troops for D-Day.
Although the dockyards were the principal targets, much of the city centre and over 3,700 houses were completely destroyed and more than 1,000 civilians lost their lives.
In 1620, the Pilgrim Fathers departed Plymouth for the New World and established Plymouth Colony – the second English settlement in what is now the United States of America.
During the English Civil War, the town was held by the Parliamentarians and was besieged between 16.
The Three Towns conurbation of Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport enjoyed some prosperity during the late 18th and early 19th century and were enriched by a series of neo-classical urban developments designed by London architect John Foulston.